Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Suspect Descriptions

I hate suspect descriptions. I think 99.9% of the time, they are an absolute waste of time.

Here's a description I just saw on a local newscast about two robbery suspects:
Two Hispanic men, in their 20s. One wore jeans and a gray t-shirt.

That description might be helpful if you live in Japan, where there are not a whole lot of Hispanics, but in your average South Texas city, where I watched this broadcast, the description could apply to a large part of the population.
Better? "Police are looking for two suspects..." and move on.

Some caveats.
Use a description if there's something actually meaningful in it, as in:
The suspect had big "I love Mom" tattoo on his right shoulder...
Or,
Police says the suspects left in red minivan with a tag that read "xyz-123."

Also, I can live with vague descriptions if the crime just happened. If you toss to a reporter who just rolled up on a scene where the crime occured, then the info might be helpful. Be as specific as possible, as in "The crime happened at 4th and Main, and police say witnesses saw two white men in their 20s take off in a green v.w. bug. That was about ten minutes ago." If the crime just happened, there's a chance someone might spot them if they stop into a 7/11 for a Slurpee. Hours after the fact though, as happens with most of these descriptions-- it's not likely.

Which brings me to phone numbers in newscasts. I hate them. Unless the phone number is something like 1-800-crimestoppers or your own station's hotline (or website) which you repeat again and again in the show, don't use it. No one watches t.v. with a pen taking notes and anxiously anticipating you showing a phone number they might need. Phone numbers are generally frustrating for viewers and a watch of precious newscast time.

No comments: