Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Double Take

I am getting to the point where I almost expect to see pkgs from nightside rerun on early newscasts. I understand, you morning producers have like six hours to fill and little to no help. But when I watch a major market newscast from 5 to 615p (with the network newscast at 530) and see the EXACT same reporter do the EXACT same pkg at 5p and at 6p (in the first block in both shows, framed in exactly the same way), I have one word and one word only- LAZY!!!

Did the producer at 6p not have anything else to put in the show? Couldn't they ask the reporter to do a vosot for the 6p? Or, how about having the vosot at 5p to tease the pkg at 6? Or-- at the very least, could the photog and reporter not change up the shot so that it looks different?

I guess people assume viewers won't be watching after a whole hour. Perhaps we might want to give them a reason to watch longer instead of repeating our newscast a la Headline News. What's the point of have a separate producer if you're just going to restack essentially the same show?

No comments: