Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Stalk Your Next Market

Some of you would like to work in a particular market. Fortunately, you decided to become a producer, so your odds are good. Here's how to make it to that market...

Call each assignment desk and find out who the news directors are. If you feel comfortable, I'd ask if they have producer openings. You might get a chatty desk person who can give you good info and scoop on the station. You'll feel stupid doing this, but who cares? They don't know you.

Send each of the news directiors a tape and a note saying-- "Currently, I'm a bad ass producer in XYZ but I'm looking to relocate to the your market. Enclosed is a tape. I'll be in town on blah blah blah and if you have a few minutes, I'd love to meet with you."

Even if there is no opening, I guarantee you, there will be. You will get calls for meetings. This is because, not only are GOOD producers hard to find, even mediocre ones are rare. No one wants to produce! And the ones who do move to bigger markets or get promoted to EP. I think I have mentioned this before, but most news directors get dozens of tapes for reporter openings, but only a handful for producer openings, and many of them aren't qualified. So if you have experience and a decent tape or cd, send it! What do you have to lose?

Prior to the meetings, google each of the news directors to get a sense of who they are. Maybe you went to the same school or worked in the same market at different times. Also, check out the station's websites to get a sense of their product. Definitely watch the product before you go in and take notes to critique.

I'd also call everyone you know to see if they know anyone in the market.

No comments: