Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Showcasing

When you are creating your show, you want to do something a little special for your lead, especially if you have good elements (dramatic sound, good weather pics etc). One good way to set up your lead or maybe a special sweeps piece or teasble package is to do a little setup piece into it. Ask the reporter if they have any dramatic 3 to 5 second sound bites that they didn't use. Create a little mini-pkg (maybe 30 to 45 seconds) to build interest in the story. ((Note: don't actually tell the story, just create interest by putting out a couple good details. Nothing ticks off reporters faster by you telling the entire story right before you toss to them.))

You can keep it simple, or jazz it up by giving it to the best editor in house. Try to give them as much time as possible to work on it.

You can also do something similar as an extended, tracked a-block tease.

So it could be--
(Nats- piece of metal crashes to the ground.)
Track- A dangerous storm rolls into the valley
(Sot- I just about died when I heard the crash.)
Track- Trees are down, power is out, but is the worst over?
(Nats- lightning crack)

Then go to Anchor/live intro. He or she reads a graph to get to reporter.

Not something you have to do every day, but something to consider.

No comments: