Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Murphy's Law for Field Producers & Reporters

A photog friend of mine used to always carry a stupid reporter bag because inevitably a reporter would come out on a story unprepared for the elements. The bag contained an extra jacket, gloves and even wool socks. He saved many a reporter from freezing. And possibly even a field producer.

Putting on those wool socks that day taught me a lesson. Get like the Boy Scouts and "Be Prepared." Plan for all possibilities. You may be going out on a consumer interview that's indoors, but if a standoff happens nearby in sub-zero temps, guess who will be dropping in?

I find that Murphy's Law is generally in effect. For example, last week, heading out to do a dought story, why on earth would I take my rain gear? Sure enough, we landed and the skies clouded. It didn't rain that time, but there have been enough times where I've packed for snow and got sent to eighty degree temps.

No comments: