Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Blowing the Tease

I will stop writing about this when I stop seeing it happen. Watching a tease tonight, I heard something like...

"We will tell you about a popular snack that is being pulled off the shelves."

Could it be... "Lean Pockets?" I am not psychic. All I had to do was look at the video they were using. It was a taped graphic showing a closeup of the product.

Better to use file from the frozen food aisle and say something like...

"It's a snack many people munch on to stay true to their diet- you might even have one in your freezer now- but coming up next, we'll tell you why it's being recalled. You won't believe what they found inside."

(For the record, this particular brand of Lean Pockets were not so lean, some included pieces of plastic.)

Teases are a hugely important part of your show. Take care and try to do them early, especially with a story that's in house, like the example above.

Don't have video? If it's a good enough story, don't be afraid to do a quick on cam before wiping into another tease.

No comments: