Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Say What?

Don't assume your anchor knows how to pronounce something. Go ahead and throw in pronouncers for places and names you think might be potential pitfalls. Definitely look it up or ask someone if you don't know how to pronounce something. This advice goes doubly for place names in your town that might be easily messed up- stuff that looks like you might say it one way, but locals say it another. Nothing makes an anchor look more stupid to viewers than butchering a common local place name. Of course, it's a new anchor or reporter's job to familiarize themselves with the market, but anything you can do to help in the end makes your overall newscast look and sound better.

No comments: