Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Reporters Should Be Seen and Not Just Heard

In a perfect world, I'd have a reporter fronting their package live every time. But sometimes, that can't happen. Even if the reporter can't front their package live, they should have some sort of visual presence in the piece. Obviously, they can do a standup from the field. Have them record a ten second tease while they're at it. But even if they didn't get a standup in the field, have them record an intro and tag-- on set, at the chroma key, or in the newsroom. Find some way to get their face in the piece.

Your reporters are part of your brand. One way viewers can connect to their stories and your newscast is to see reporters night after night. Plus, it makes your newscast look large to have as many faces worked into it as possible. Get creative. Are you writing a VOSOT from a story earlier in the day and the reporter is still hanging around? Have them do a standup and track it. Are you writing a mini-package from a national story? Again, if there's some talent wrapping up their day, grab them and get their face in your show.

What about having a standup in the package when the reporter is fronting it live? This doesn't bug me a bit-- I'm all for it. I want to see talent as much as possible. But there are some stations that frown on it.

No comments: