Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Your Face on TV, Every Time

Just had an email discussion with a reporter who's a friend of mine regarding the relative value of standups in a pkg.

I think reporters ought to have their face in every pkg they do. To me, there's no excuse not to have a standup or some kind of reporter presence in each and every story. Otherwise, why not just hire field producers? Or print reporters, for that matter? What you bring as talent to the piece is your ability to connect with the viewer and be their stand-in at the story.

The more faces you get in the show the better. It makes your show look large. I like to have people tape standups for stories... even if it's a reporter who did a pkg in the early and will be off by showtime. Have them shoot a one minute "looklive" from the field and insert a bite and video. Or have front a vosot from the newsroom.

The point is-- this is television. We get to see our reporters. That's why we hire so many good looking folks who can talk.

No comments: