Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Special Events Planning Part 2

There is no set plan for special events. What you do depends on the event. A lot of you will probably have elections stuff coming up. It's never too soon to start planning. Even if it's just talking to people to get a better sense of what kind of time line you'll actually need to get things done. I am a huge fan of "back-timing your life," so once you get a list of all the things you need to get done, arrange it in a manner where the deadline is the event. It's almost like you might plan a party as my cheesy time line below illustrates...

Wed: Pickup Balloons
Thur: Decorate
Fri: Pick up enchiladas from Rosa's Cantina.
Sat/9a: Clean
11a: Put enchiladas in oven
1130a: Set flowers and food out
Noon: Guests arrive

Point being, if you have a master list, you don't have to worry about forgetting things.

At the earliest stages of your planning, talk to EVERYONE you can think of. Find a producer or EP who has planned the event before or done something similar. Call a friend in a different market who may have had experience with it.

Site survey early! Bring a trusted photog who has done this type of event before and have them walk through the location with you. I think the best way to do things is not to go in with too many preconceived ideas about how the coverage will take place. Have a few ideas and throw it out to the people who will actually make it happen- "This is what I would like to accomplish, how can we make that happen?" That leaves it open-ended and asks people for their creative input. So, for example, I produced a live consumer show from a woman's house. I told the photographer, "I'd like a different look each time we come to our anchor." I didn't specify locations or rooms, I just let him take it from there. Same with graphics. "I'd like something that animates and has this kind of feel." Let the graphics person amaze you. But check in early and often to make sure you're on the same page.

Another key element of site survey is -- Where are we going to put the truck or trucks? Send your trucks out in advance to make sure you can get a signal or reach the satellite. Is it on a busy street? Is parking limited? Are there tall buildings around? Will the truck need to park the night before? VERY IMPORTANT: Will I need special permits to park here? Permits that need to be filed in triplicate three weeks in advance? If there is a police presence, make best friends with the officer coordinating.

With elections, call campaigns early and often about their plans and don't forget to contact the Board of Elections people as well.

No comments: