Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Don't Let this Happen to You

A reader in Arkansas sent this my way. A group of TV folks there made a video that made it to YouTube. Part of the video was shot in the newsroom. F-bombs are plentiful. You can read more about it here


We live in an age where it's really, really easy to make a video and post it. So be really, really careful before you post any pic or video.

Ask yourself:

1. Will this project reflect poorly on me or the station?
2. Would I be comfortable showing this to my boss? (Because they WILL see it. It's inevitable)
3. Would I be comfortable having a future boss judge me based solely on the content of this? (You may put a resume out and you never know why you didn't get a phone call back)
4. Would I want my mom to see this?

These rules extends to anything you put on Facebook, MySpace, etc. You may think this stuff is private, but it's not. When you take a job with a company, they own you. Anything you do can potentially impact their brand. It even extends beyond that---I had a friend fired because she was working a part-time waitressing job outside of work. Apparently, any outside employment had to be cleared in advance.

So be careful! Take a second to think before you do anything. What do you lose by not taking part in whatever it is? It's probably not as bad as losing your job.

No comments: