Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Stories- What happened vs. What does it mean

When you do stories, think about the bottom line for your viewer. Translate the story in to that bottom line. For example, you can report that city council voted x, y, and z but you need to explain- "That means there will be less money for firefighters, or, that means library hours will be cut." Break a story down to its personal impact for the viewer. If it doesn't have a personal impact for the viewer, you may want to ask why it is in your show.

No comments: