Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Monday, July 27, 2009

Best Stuff First

Whether it's a show or a package, always put your best stuff first. For example, I was watching TV in a medium market a few weeks ago and they were doing a big ongoing crime story. This station led when a nuts and bolts package, and then went to the exclusive interview with the sister or brother or someone of a person who had died. I about fell on the floor. I had no idea it was coming, nary a word about it in headlines or the lead.

Exclusive-- or anything new and interesting--- goes first. You can do some kind of quick taped set-up... but it should all highlight the fact that you will soon be hearing great stuff for the first time. Or skip the set-up and just get to it:

"For the first time since her sister's death, Suzy Q is talking about what happened. Here's Joe Schmoe with more."
Take Exclusive Pkg

Then...

"Police are still trying to track down the killer. Bob Bartsow has more on the investigation."
Take Nuts and Bolts Pkg.

Best stuff first!! People have short attention spans and a remote in their hand and they're ready to zap you!

No comments: