Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Don't Lead with Soundbite

I can't tell you how many packages I see where the first couple seconds are someone's uninspiring soundbite. People do it because it's easy.

In general, it's not a good idea to lead a package with a soundbite. This is because there's generally something better-- say your best nats and video. Soundbites generally come out of nowhere and viewers tend to miss the first couple seconds of them if you use them at the top. Also, if you instead start with a little nats and track, you can set the tone for the piece and the viewer.

No comments: