Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Monday, November 17, 2008

Size Does Matter

Your first block ought to be at least ten minutes long. I saw a newscast the other day that was 6 minutes! Obviously, something had gone very wrong because why would you ever make the first block so short? I could feel viewers switching to another channel to watch the rest of someone else's first block. Some T.V. stations monitor when their competition is in commercial so that they can be the last ones to go. It's a thought.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I had no idea, but it completely makes sense now. My first block usually runs for seven to eight minutes. Thanks!

PS- I'm a rookie producer.