Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Consider Your Lead-In

If there is a big national story, you may be tempted to lead with it. Be cautious if your newscast occurs right after your network's nightly half hour. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to lead with the exact same story your viewers just saw a half hour ago. The big exception to this is if it is an ongoing story and you have something to update or- if there is some local angle to the story.

Obviously, this also doesn't apply to huge national stories like 911, for example. But for your average killer tornado, etc., get creative and find a local lead. Otherwise your show will feel like a rehash.

No comments: