Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Break-outs

Say you have a big story. You have a lead pkg but you want to break out a sot to use after the pkg to make the story feel larger. If you are going to use a sot from an interview who's in the pkg, have enough common sense to pick a bite that is different than what is in the piece.

Case in point. I was watching a top 20 market newscast. The lead pkg was about a murder-suicide. The second story was a vosot on the murder-suicide and not only was the sot exactly the same as one we just heard a minute ago in the pkg, but the copy sounded like it was lifted from the piece as well. Who was approving scripts? How was this not caught? Or did they catch it and then decided to go with it anyway?

No comments: