Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Monday, December 3, 2007

Set up live shot or shoot tape?

When there's breaking news, your crew can set up a live shot or shoot the scene. They can't do both (unless of course you have the luxury of a couple crews). Lots of folks disagree with me, but in most situations, crews should get the live shot up before they do anything else.

I would also want the reporter on scene to go live AS SOON AS the live shot is up. I don't care if they know anything. I don't care if they say anything of substance. I see it as a tease for the rest of the show. We're establishing our presence there, telling viewers we're all over it. The live shot can be as simple as: "We just got here. We don't know anything yet. We're going to find out what's going on and get back to you." Then they can go get info and video.

If your live truck has a mast cam, see if you can keep it up so you use it to keep checking in on the story until your next reporter liveshot.

Like with weather, if there's something going on behind the reporter, don't be afraid to just have them show it. Breaking news doesn't have have to be pretty or preordained. You don't need vo or sound. Just show what's going on, and maybe grab a live interview if possible.

On spot news, the more bodies the better. Send them. You can always call them back. Even consider sending a writer-- or any extra body you have in the newsroom. While the reporter is doing their thing, that person can be a liason back to the newsroom and feed you info.

No comments: