Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Don't Start with a Soundite

I see this mistake all the time. Unless someone is bawling, use video first and not a soundbite. As a viewer, it takes a second or two to transition from reporter or anchor intro to taped piece. If you start with soundbite, I guarantee you viewers won't catch the first second or two of it. Plus, starting with a soundbite is BORING. You have nothing else to lead your package? How about nats? Nats establishes a sense of place in whatever story you do and can really help you start a pkg nicely. Skip the sot and look for nats.

No comments: