Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Story's Not at the Press Conference

We all cover press conferences. But the story is generally not at the press conference. Go to them. Shoot them. But then figure out a way to get out of there. Get someone who's actually impacted by what's being said at the press conference. Find a real person who is not a politician.

Easy example-- a city announces budget cuts. Find someone impacted by budget cuts. The fire station that will lose overtime. The old lady who won't get her garbage collected. Lots of times the real people might actually be there at the press conference, listening, or they may even speak at it-- but definitely reinterview them in their own environment, at their home or work. Or ask the parties giving the press conference to direct you to someone impacted.

Press conferences are deadly boring video. Make the extra effort to find someone personally impacted and peg your story on that person or persons. You end product will be much better.

No comments: