Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Monday, December 14, 2009

Look Before You Leap

As you are employed in t.v. news, chances are, you will not stay where you are forever. At some places, you stay more than 5 years and you're considered a lifer. That said, when you're checking out your next move, consider it carefully. It's amazing how we all make significant life changing decisions based on only a few hours at a station. Do your homework extra carefully. Call anyone and everyone who has either worked at that station or is in the market. Even someone who's worked across the street will be able to give you a sense of what a competitor is like.

When you go in for an interview, talk with EVERYONE you can. Ask (in advance) for them to set aside a little time for you to just wander around and talk with random people. One station where I interviewed (and later worked) just let me loose on the newsroom-- basically it was-- just go and talk to people. At the time, I thought it was the weirdest thing ever. Later, I realized how brilliant it was. I got a real sense of the newsroom. There were no suprises when I came to work there and they got feedback from people on how I would fit into the newsroom.

Ask tough questions. For example, to the news director: How long have you been here? What are your career goals (i.e., how long do you plan to stay here or will you leave the minute I'm hired?) What's your vision for the newsroom? Are people happy here? What are the biggest challenge in this newsroom?. What's its greatest asset? How do you see my role here? How much freedom will I have?

Finally, don't get blinded by the problems in your current newsroom. If you currently work in a place with a weak desk, you may be focused completely in on finding out whether the new desk is any good-- and completely overlook other issues that might not be an issue in your current shop (Is talent a handful? Do you have the staffing you need? Will the EP be a good fit? Etc, Etc)

In addition to the station, check out the management. Google the GM, News Director, EP. Find out where they've worked and ask around if anyone knows/likes them. Check out the station's website. Is this a place where you'd see yourself at home? Check out the local newspaper-- alot of times they'll have gossip on the happenings at the local stations.

Keep in mind my motto: "Management, not market size." You'll have the same issues in a big market as a small market, so make sure that where ever you land, you have a management team that's a good one and that can help grow you.

Finally-- remember, as a producer, YOU are a commodity!!! ((And don't sign a contract if you can help it.))

No comments: