Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Monday, December 28, 2009

Another Station Goes with Multi-Media Journalists

This one's in Baltimore, a pretty big market. A friend of mine worked at a station in San Francisco where this happened and said it was pretty awful. The benefit to station managers is obvious-- it's a cheaper way to do news. I'm not saying there's not a place for this kind of work-- I think it's interesting and potentially a good tool in the newsroom, but there are very few people who can be master all things. For example, I think I'm a pretty good writer, but despite being around cameras for the better part of my life, I seriously doubt I could ever bring the kind of artistry and skill to videography I've been fortunate enough to see in some of my favorite stories.

The future of news? You be the judge.

Here's an article on the changeover in Baltimore:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/bal-ae.wmar20dec20,0,7151631.story

No comments: