Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Monday, January 26, 2009

Honey & Money

So should you date people at work? I say, proceed with caution. There's an old saying, "Don't get your honey where you get your money..." and it's floating around for good reason. That said, if you're working overnights and have Mondays and Tuesdays off... who else are you going to date? Cops, firefighters, nurses... and co-workers.

If you DO decide to date someone at work, keep these things in mind:

1. Unless you're going to marry this person, you WILL break up at some point. Whether it's you or the other person doing the breaking up, it's difficult to see that person day in and day out, even in the best situations.

2. Respect your co-workers and be discreet. Shocking as this may sound, your co-workers may not be as into your love fest as you are. At work, pretend you are not dating and act professionally at all times. Save the schmoopiness for when you're off the clock.

3. Don't date anyone under your direct line of supervision (or above for that matter). So producers, don't date writers. News directors, don't date anyone in the newsroom. You're just asking for trouble and/or a lawsuit. There are a million people out there... find someone else.

I have dated folks at work. I ended up marrying someone outside of the business. For all of you struggling to find a nice guy/gal with whom to spend your off-time, may I suggest match.com? Widens the dating pool significantly.

No comments: