Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Monday, January 19, 2009

Highlighting

If you have a good piece of video or picture, but it is not immediately obvious what you're looking at, do your viewers a favor and make it obvious. So, for example, the plane that landed on the Hudson. There were a couple cell phone pics of it, but it took a sec or two to see-- oh, there's the plane. Circle it, highlight it, whatever, but don't make your viewers work when looking at your newscast.

Same goes for audio. If you get a piece of audio (like 911 call) that you want to use but YOU have to play it two or three times to understand it, consider that your viewers will be hearing it once and will likely be frustrated. Go ahead and font it with the words they are saying.

No comments: