Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Friday, January 16, 2009

Autographing Head Shots

Got this email from Brooks, a friend of mine at Fox. Thought it was funny:

I laughed out loud at this. If you have ever read The Watercooler on Shoptalk, you know that fellow TV journalists toss around ideas, thoughts, criticisms and praise. Others will also ask for feedback or advice on a question or issue they have. Here is a response I found today to a budding anchor who asked “how to autograph headshots?” There were many responses. Some gave truthful advice on what to do if someone asks you for an autograph or signed headshot. Others chided him for even asking the question…take a look at this response to that young anchors serious question about signing headshots!

HOW DO YOU SIGN HEAD SHOTS!!?!?!? Only an anchor would ask that type of question. OMG! You've got to be kidding me! What's next? "Do I casually toss my suit jacket over my left or right shoulder for the promo shoot?"

Amazing! Shows where talent priorities are…and the fact that other anchors jumped in with "helpful advice" shows how screwed up anchors really are! The fact that people actually gave this question thought makes me want to throw up.

Here are my suggestions for "how to sign head shots"

1) I'm totally irrelevant.. thanks for watching
2) They are going to cut my salary in half because I'm irrelevant.. thanks for watching
3) I've never heard of you either.. thanks for watching
4) I work a four hour day.. how about you?
5) I can complain all the time and my boss can't fire me.. thanks for watching
6) I kick ass at solitarie.. thanks for watching
7) I'm on TV.. that makes me cool.
8) I spend more in a month on teeth whitening and hair spray than you spend feeding your family.. thanks for watching
9) I'm a celebrtiy.. quit bugging me for head shots
10) All I really do is read the prompter.. can you believe it!!

No comments: