Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Blowing the Tease

Here's what I heard last Saturday at 6pm in a local newscast:

"We'll tell you who Barack Obama picked as his running mate."

Given that they released the pick overnight, at 6p, th above is not an effective tease. Even worse, this tease was coming out of a national newscast. You can safely assume the audience watching the national newscast has already heard the big news. In fact, unless it's an ongoing story, why would you ever tease any national story coming out of a national newscast? The viewers have already heard about it in the last half hour. Pick an interesting local angle on the national story or something entirely different.

No comments: