Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

How People Watch TV

60% of Americans engaging in couch potato multitasking

I'm not sure that any of the facts in this study are earth shattering. Anyone who's on Facebook or Twitter can tell you people will watch a big TV event and be on their laptop commenting on it at the same time. But-- it's worth remembering that you have competing interests vying for your audience's attention.

How do you embrace this reality? Is there some subject matter or some live stream that you're not putting on the air that you can put online? Maybe a contentious school board or council meeting in its entirety? People can comment real time on what's happening. Maybe it's something as simple as a car chase. How can you utilize how people are using TV and the web without cannibalizing your newscast? Alas, that's the 50-million dollar question. We're all figuring it out as we go along.

No comments: