Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sending a reporter out of town

If you are fortunate enough to send a reporter out of town, make sure you maximize that opportunity and let us see standups to prove it. I was watching a mid-market show the other day and they had sent someone to DC. He might as well have stayed home. He did his standup at what looked like a chroma key and there were no cutaways of him anywhere in the video. The only way I knew he was in DC was his tag out. He should have shot ins and outs out on the street... maybe a birdge standup... and gotten cutaways for good measure. Maybe even a standup tease to put in the open? If you're spending the money to send him, might as well get as much as you can out of it.

1 comment:

Deanna Fry said...

I agree 100%. I even like to see stand up teases from the field; something like "I'm Ron Burgundy in Chicago. Tonight at 11, I'll tell you why your lawmakers spent your tax dollars on a trip to the Windy City."

Another good post!