Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Friday, April 24, 2009

Warning the Viewer

We sometimes have occasion to use graphic video. Understand that graphic video probably has a different impact on viewers than it does on you. You've been seeing this video all day. You have probably become a little less sensitive to its impact. Your viewer will be seeing this video for the first time. That can be jarring, especially if there's no warning or appropriate setup. Your viewer should not feel bludgeoned after watching a story.

Use graphic video judiciously. Ask yourself-- what does this add to the story? What if I don't show it? What would I lose? Would I understand the story as well? You may even want to explain to your viewers why you're using the video (We're using this to show how dangerous it can be to blah.. blah... blah...)

Don't use violent video as wallpaper. Don't throw it in a tease where it has no context and seems to pop out of no where. It cheapens your story and does a disservice to your viewer. Likewise, after the story airs, keep an eye on how it's used as file. You'd be amazed at how often an anchor is updating the story.. and while the orginial story may have had context and sensitivity, with the follow, the file comes up like-- woah! No warning! Where did this come from? And in 20 seconds, the anchor moves on.

No comments: