Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Field Trip

If you've never been out in the field, or it's been a while, it might make some sense to ask your news director to let you off field produce one day. It's a great opportunity to see the flip side of your job. You'll get a much better perspective on how long it takes to do things and how tough they can be. Ever doorknock someone who just lost their child? It's something you've probably asked a reporter to do. Intellectually, you can probably imagine it would be tough. Actually walking up to someone's door is a whole nother story.

If your news director doesn't want to let you out of the newsroom, come in on your day off. Maybe just go out with a photog for a half day. You will learn more than you might imagine. You'll also get to interact with your crews in a much different way.

1 comment:

Lenslinger said...

By voicing these simple truths you have the ability to enlighten the lazy, the smug and the uninformed. New producers should thank you. They won't. Still, I invite you to check out my own site at http://lenslinger.com for an inverse perspective. Keep the posts coming!