Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Friday, February 6, 2009

Skype

Anybody using Skype for liveshots?

We've already played with Livecast.com (lets you go live from a cell phone or computer), and you may have heard of Qik.com (live from your cell phone).

Now we're checking out Skype.com, which allows you to go live from a computer. It started as a phone service between computers. Then they added a video element to it. Basically all you need is a camera, firewire, computer and internet connection (or you can just use the camera on the computer). We fiddled with it today and it's super easy. The picture quality isn't bad. But the best part- Skype's free between users.

A local station in Ft. Lauderdale has already used it for a liveshot:
http://tinyurl.com/c5slrn
There's also a Poynter article about that station's use of Skype, but for some reason the link I have won't work. If you go to Poynter.org and search "skype" it will pop up.

I've also heard Oprah is using Skype for interviews. Well, that settles it!

It's something to think about. Even without the video, Skype can get you interesting phoners. For example, when I worked in Philly, some college students producing a radio show were using Skype to call people in Iraq. Again, for free.

If nothing else-- if you're like half the population in local TV news, living in a town a million miles from the rest of your family, you can use Skype to stay in touch on the cheap.

1 comment:

John said...

FYI, the http://tinyurl.com/c5slrn
video was a live shot from Ft. Lauderdale but the reporter works for the Gannett-owned CBS affiliate in Tampa/St. Pete and she was doing a live shot for the Gannett station in Jacksonville.

I'm sure Oprah's not using the same Scype that the rest of us are.