Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Monday, July 23, 2007

Backtime your show, backtime your life!

This blog is named after a practice I adopted when I was line producer.
Each time I'd learn a new show, I'd create a list and backtime my tasks so that I'd get everything done in time. I'd use the list until it became habit. It's been a while, but here's what one looked like:

130p Check wires/feeds
2pm Meeting
3pm Create rundown
4pm Assign stories to writers. Put web copy/video source in script. Remind writers that they are the producers of their stories. If the story needs and bite and there isn't one, let me know. If there's one there and it's lame, we can zap it.
5pm Write teasable stories/stuff not likely to change. Also pieces anchors can voice before lunch.
8pm Graphics list done
9pm Write pre-produced open/have it voiced.
930p Write teases/recheck wires to changes that might impact scripts.
10pm Print rundown and scripts. Anchors should have looked at scripts by now and made their changes.
1045p Go to editing/make sure lead pkg/other stories are in.
1050p In booth. Have backup plan if lead is in trouble. Communicate backup plan to director/anchors. Then if lead bombs, everyone knows what to do.
11p Showtime

You get the idea. The time's on these were best case scenerio. Obviously, I didn't print scripts every night at 10pm, but that's at least what I'd be shooting for. I'm a big believer as a producer that you should get stuff done early. Your job impacts every one else's. Getting scripts back early gives editors a chance to do their best work, etc. Also, getting things done early means when you do have to fly by the seat of your pants, your crew is more willing to wing it with you.

No comments: