Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Elephant in the Room

I was watching a morning newscast a while back and they had a guest segment. The pet expert was in with tips on how to train your dog. Strangely, the shot did not include the dog. I don't care how many great tips you have, better to talk about them over a shot of a dog instead of a shot of an anchor or guest. What's even funnier about this one is that the dog was barking during the whole segment, as if realizing that he was not getting the camera attention that he deserved. The anchor and guest went on as if nothing was happening. If something happens in your show-- whatever it may be-- and it's obvious to your viewers that something's happened or is happening, address it. Otherwise, it's distracting and you look foolish. In the above case, all it would have taken was a wide shot and the anchor making a little joke about it.

No comments: