Welcome to the PIT List!

I'm a network field producer who also worked in local tv as a line producer and field producer. Over the years, I have had the great fortune to work with super people. Now I'd like to pass along what I know and rant a tad.

"Dear Maggie..." pitlist@gmail.com
I check it sporadically, but I love answering emails, so if you have an issue or difficult person you need help with, don't hesitate to shoot it my way.

Maggie L

Maggie L
One of the rare times I'm in the office

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Orlando TV Crew Attacked

Be careful out there. A crew in Orlando was covering a memorial when they were attacked by friends and family of the victim. No news story is worth getting hurt. Whether it's a funeral or trying to contact family of someone who's just been killed or arrested, understand there's a potential for things to go downhill. Try to be as respectful as possible, and put yourself in their situation to get a sense of how they might be feeling-- but as it seems in this case, something things come out of nowhere. If you're a line producer, understand that asking your reporters and photographers to do these things involves them taking a risk, so it's up to them to decide what their level of comfort is. Don't encourage anyone to go beyond that.

No comments: